Life is complicated.
Sometimes family or personal circumstances can impact your academic credentials or alter your perspective. You may wish to relate information about family or personal circumstances either through your Personal Statement or in the Additional Information section of the Common App.
Examples of Special Circumstances
- Moving multiple times during high school
- Care-giving responsibilities
- Significant out-of-the-home work responsibilities
- Significant educational interruptions
- Course offering limitations
- Other circumstances that have caused you to have a different course schedule or different academic options than your classmates
It is up to you whether to share information about your special circumstances. If you decide to, we suggest you seek the advice of your counselor to find the best method to concisely convey information that will be helpful to your application.