Should I apply as a first-year student or as a transfer student?

Transfer Applications

Students who have taken college coursework that is counting towards their high school graduation should apply as first-year applicants. This includes students pursuing an associate's degree while finishing high school.

Students who have completed high school and enrolled in college, even for one term or less, must apply as transfer applicants.

Students who have completed two years or less of college coursework at the time of application are eligible to apply as transfer applicants.

Students who have completed more than two years of college coursework or previously earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible for transfer or first-year admission to Dartmouth.

For International Students: Applying as a First Year vs. Transfer Student 

The primary mode of admission into Dartmouth is through the first year application process, though a small number of transfer applicants do enroll at the College each year. If you are currently enrolled in your first year of university in your home country, you may apply as a first-year applicant. However, if you elect to apply as a first year, the credits you earn at your home country's university will not transfer to Dartmouth. If you are currently enrolled in a university outside of your home country, you must apply as a transfer student.