Does Dartmouth require specific high school courses?Academics
An applicant is expected to have pursued the most demanding curriculum offered by the high school(s) attended. In schools that follow a US-based curriculum, five “major” subjects are required through the senior year. A student is admitted to Dartmouth College without a major designation but there are specific recommendations for students planning a course of study in STEM disciplines.
We recommend a course of study that includes a minimum of:
- English: 4 years with a preference for writing-intensive literature courses
- Mathematics: 4 years, through calculus for students interested in engineering and the STEM disciplines
- History and social science: 3 years
- Science: 3 years of laboratory science with 4 years including physics for students considering engineering
- Foreign language: 3 years of a single language (ancient or modern) with 4 preferred