Should I apply as a first-year student or as a transfer student?

Application Process

Students who have taken college coursework that is counting towards their high school graduation should apply as first-year applicants. This includes students pursuing an associate's degree while finishing high school.

Students who have completed high school and enrolled in college, even for one term or less, must apply as transfer applicants.

Students who have completed two years or less of college coursework at the time of application are eligible to apply as transfer applicants.

Students who have completed more than two years of college coursework or previously earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible for transfer or first-year admission to Dartmouth.

For International Students:
If you are an international student who has already enrolled in a university in your home country, you may choose to apply as a transfer or first-year student. If you elect to apply as a first-year, the credits you earn at your home country's university will not transfer to Dartmouth. Also, please be sure to include your current university transcript and your reason for applying for first-year admission in your application.