We Are What We Do
To educate ethical citizens, a university must be driven by a set of values embraced by the entire community. At Dartmouth, we integrate our core values into our curriculum, our culture, and our campus so that students, staff, and faculty live those principles. Here's what that looks like day-to-day at Dartmouth:
- We expect academic excellence, encourage independent thought, and promote a robust culture of interdisciplinary collaboration.
- We support a faculty of scholars who are leaders in their fields, passionate about teaching, and committed to mentorship and collaboration with their students.
- We recruit and admit outstanding students from all backgrounds, regardless of their financial means, so that finances are never a barrier to admission.
- We build a diverse community of faculty and students and leverage that diversity to enrich and deepen the education of our future global citizens.
- We foster lifelong bonds among faculty, staff, and students to encourage a culture of integrity, collaboration, and collegiality.
- We instill in students a sense of responsibility for one another and for the broader world, and give them ample opportunities to share their expertise and passions.
- We promote the vigorous and open debate of ideas while encouraging mutual respect for diverse opinions.
- We provide comprehensive out-of-classroom experiences, including service opportunities, international study, and global engagement.
For generations, Dartmouth graduates have left Hanover with an unerring set of principles that they have carried into the world as leaders in government, industry, academia, journalism, and many other realms. In every field of endeavor and every area of expertise, our alumni are distinguished by their embrace of collaboration, their commitment to creating a vibrant community, and their loyalty to Dartmouth and to their fellow alumni.